Josh Lanier

Assistant Managing Editor

[email protected]

Josh Lanier started his reporting career in high school for his local newspaper. Many — many — years later, he’s still chasing leads for compelling stories. During his time writing for newspapers, magazines, and online publications, he’s covered everything from murderers to mommy bloggers, but his most interesting story is always the next one.


Josh Lanier's Contributions

Deported Again And Again, Mexican National Gets Prison Time After Colchester Arrest Deported Again And Again, Mexican National Gets Prison Time After Colchester Arrest
Deported Again And Again, Mexican National Gets Prison Time After Colchester Arrest A Mexican citizen who's illegally reentered the US multiple times will spend 18 months in federal prison after a Connecticut arrest brought him back to authorities’ attention, federal prosecutors said.  Julio Cesar Fernandez-Salazar, 45, pleaded guilty on May 21 to unlawfully reentering the United States after removal, according to the US attorney for the District of Connecticut. A judge sentenced him on Thursday, Aug. 6.  Connecticut State Police arrested Fernandez-Salazar in Colchester on Nov. 27, 2024. Police charged him with driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs and…
Connecticut Children’s Strikes DOJ Deal, Will Pay Fine, Halt Gender-Affirming Care For Minors Connecticut Children’s Strikes DOJ Deal, Will Pay Fine, Halt Gender-Affirming Care For Minors
Connecticut Children’s Strikes DOJ Deal, Will Pay Fine, Halt Gender-Affirming Care For Minors Connecticut Children’s Medical Center has reached an agreement with the US Department of Justice that will change the care it provides to transgender patients under the age of 18. The Justice Department announced the resolution on Thursday, Aug. 6, as part of a national investigation into medical care for transgender minors. Under the agreements, Connecticut Children’s committed not to provide minors with puberty blockers or cross-sex hormones for gender transition or perform gender-transition surgeries, according to the DOJ. The medical center also agreed to pay a penalty, but federal aut…
Double Murderer Gets 100 Years For 2021 Killings Inside New Haven Home: State Double Murderer Gets 100 Years For 2021 Killings Inside New Haven Home: State
Double Murderer Gets 100 Years For 2021 Killings Inside New Haven Home: State A man convicted of carrying out a deadly double murder inside a Connecticut home will spend the rest of his life behind bars. Octavius Kindred, 42, was sentenced on Thursday, Aug. 6, to 100 years in prison followed by 20 years of special parole for the 2021 murders of Jeffrey Dotson and Alfreda Youmans in New Haven, the Connecticut Division of Criminal Justice announced. A New Haven Superior Court jury found Kindred guilty on May 21 of two counts of murder and one count of criminal possession of a firearm. Prosecutors said the evidence showed Kindred and an unidentified accomplice entered …
Dash Cam Captures Driver Pointing Loaded Gun At SUV With 3 Kids In Trumbull: Police Dash Cam Captures Driver Pointing Loaded Gun At SUV With 3 Kids In Trumbull: Police
Dash Cam Captures Driver Pointing Loaded Gun At SUV With 3 Kids In Trumbull: Police A road rage encounter on Route 25 took a dangerous turn when a driver pointed a loaded handgun at an SUV carrying three children, Connecticut State Police said, and it was all captured on camera.  Jeffrey Guerette, 44, of Bridgeport, was arrested and charged following what police described as several acts of road rage toward an SUV in Trumbull last week, Connecticut State Police said. The SUV driver told police they were traveling on Route 15 near the Route 8 and Route 25 interchange with three children inside just after 8:45 a.m. Wednesday, July 29, when a minivan cut them off and beg…
Teen Killed In Metro-North Train Strike In Norwalk Remembered As 'Lovely Person, Good Friend' Teen Killed In Metro-North Train Strike In Norwalk Remembered As 'Lovely Person, Good Friend'
Teen Killed In Metro-North Train Strike In Norwalk Remembered As 'Lovely Person, Good Friend' The Connecticut teen who was killed after being struck and run over by a Metro-North train is being remembered as a kind person, a loyal friend, and a hardworking young man. Jefrey Ordonez, 16, has been identified as the teen who was killed Wednesday evening, Aug. 5, after being struck by a Metro-North train near the Merritt 7 station at 353 Main Ave. in Norwalk, MTA officials said. Metro-North Train 1889 was traveling from Danbury to South Norwalk when it struck Ordonez just after 8 p.m. Ordonez's family has launched a GoFundMe campaign to help pay for his funeral expenses. "Losing him ha…
Man Threatens To Shoot People At Groton Shopping Plaza He Was Banned From: Cops Man Threatens To Shoot People At Groton Shopping Plaza He Was Banned From: Cops
Man Threatens To Shoot People At Groton Shopping Plaza He Was Banned From: Cops A Connecticut man is accused of threatening to shoot people during an argument at a shopping plaza where police said he had already been banned. Alvin Ramos, 55, of Groton, was charged with second-degree threatening and first-degree criminal trespassing after the incident around 4:38 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 5, at the Groton Shopping Plaza on Long Hill Road, according to Groton Police. Police said officers responded after receiving a report of a threatening incident. Investigators said the victims told officers Ramos started an argument while they were sitting in an alley between stores. Acco…
SC Man Found Dead In Norwich Minivan Died By Suicide; Woman Also Found Shot: Police SC Man Found Dead In Norwich Minivan Died By Suicide; Woman Also Found Shot: Police
SC Man Found Dead In Norwich Minivan Died By Suicide; Woman Also Found Shot: Police A South Carolina man found dead inside a Connecticut minivan along with a woman suffering gunshot wounds died by suicide, according to the Connecticut Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. The office ruled that 46-year-old Ronnie Narine, of Myrtle Beach, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound inside a minivan found parked on Maennerchor Avenue in Norwich Friday, July 31, authorities said.  An unidentified 40-year-old Norwich woman was also found inside the minivan with gunshot wounds. She was taken to a hospital in critical condition, police said. Authorities have not provided a…
Ex-Thompson Church Treasurer Diverted $33K From Congregation Rebuilding After Devastating Fire Ex-Thompson Church Treasurer Diverted $33K From Congregation Rebuilding After Devastating Fire
Ex-Thompson Church Treasurer Diverted $33K From Congregation Rebuilding After Devastating Fire A former Connecticut church leader is accused of stealing more than $33,000 from a congregation that has spent years rebuilding after a devastating fire. Bruce Gordon Hall, 65, was arrested on Wednesday, Aug. 6, after investigators obtained an arrest warrant accusing him of stealing from Thompson Congregational Church, Connecticut State Police said.  Investigators allege Hall cashed eight checks totaling $33,732.92 taken from the Thompson church's accounts. They said he deposited the money into bank accounts belonging to his company, Eureka Inventing, LLC, between April and September 2…
Former Cape Cod Wendy's Manager Earns Full Scholarship To Yale After Bosses' Promise To Help Former Cape Cod Wendy's Manager Earns Full Scholarship To Yale After Bosses' Promise To Help
Former Cape Cod Wendy's Manager Earns Full Scholarship To Yale After Bosses' Promise To Help A promise made behind the counter of a Wendy's changed the course of one young man's life. Years after surviving a shooting inside his family's home in Brazil and arriving in the United States without speaking English, former Wendy's shift manager Thalles Winner DeSouza will attend Yale University on a full scholarship. He shared his story last week, crediting two Cape Cod Wendy's owners who refused to let him give up on college and instead invested in his future. DeSouza started working at a Cape Cod Wendy's as a teenager after he, his mother and three siblings fled Brazil when he was 13 f…
Quincy Firefighter Dies Suddenly While On Active Duty, Leaves Behind Young Family Quincy Firefighter Dies Suddenly While On Active Duty, Leaves Behind Young Family
Quincy Firefighter Dies Suddenly While On Active Duty, Leaves Behind Young Family A mourning Massachusetts community is coming together after the sudden and unexpected death of a firefighter and father who dedicated his life to public service and compassion. Quincy Firefighter Brian Snow died Sunday, Aug. 2. He was 47. The fire department said he died while on active duty but did not disclose a cause of death. "Brian Snow was a truly remarkable person — genuine, kind, and deeply committed to serving others as a respected firefighter and paramedic," a fundraiser for his family said. "... Brian touched so many lives with his warmth and dedication, and everyone who knew him…
Prev Page 6 of 715 4 5 6 7 8 Next
51 - 60 of 7,149 articles